Not Your Momma's Cookie Jar


Sticking our grubby hands into the bowl of trail mix has probably increased our immunity, but I finally had a chance to make something better with a scoop. Unsatisfied with the dispenser offerings at the store, I resorted to making my own, as usual. An airtight container is key to keeping the trail mix fresh. I was tempted by the hopper type dispensers that had a twist knob which dispensed measured amounts every time the knob was turned. However, the inexpensive ones ($50) looked cheap, and didn’t seam to have a good airtight seal. Nor did I believe that they would be able to handle some larger items in the trail mix. These Clik-Clak containers provide a nice airtight seal, but still have a quickly removable lid. To test out my idea about how the plywood stand would work, I first made a cardboard template, used it to adjust the dimensions, and then as a template for the plywood.







Update: We’ve been using this at the office for a few months. It’s been a hit. Everyone feels better about scooping out the trail mix, and our built up immunities are slowly deteriorating. The only change I had to make is add a weight (steel bar), which is screwed in under the front edge. It is not visible, but prevents the container from tipping back.

Comments